Quality family living, 30 minutes from everything!
Village of Hay Lakes
30 minutes from everything!
Waste Removal Program
Phantom Garbage Services Ltd. is now picking up garbage, recycling and composting every Wednesday.
The Village of Hay Lakes started their recycling program in the fall of 2010. Phantom picks up our recycling every second Wednesday, and delivers it to a private facility in South Edmonton. Once at the facility it is separated and recycled. The village diverts 2,070kgs from our landfill every month. With the village implementing this program to protect the landfills, we are encouraging residents to reduce their garbage amounts.
Phantom is a respectable, reliable family owned and operated business. The driver's of the trucks are also the owners of the trucks. The administration is looked after by the owners of the business. Phantom has been incorporated since 2011. At present they collect garbage from 3 other villages in central Alberta. They have three reliable, up to date, single axle trucks, equipped with Martco garbage compactors. They manually load the garbage into the side of the compactors.
Bylaw 05-2011 states that residents will be limited to two bags of waste weighing no more than 20kgs of garbage per week. Additional bags will be allowed with a bag tag purchased at the Village Office, Hay Lakes Fuels Plus or the Hay Lakes Supermarket for $2 per tag. Additional waste can also be taken to the Kingman Transfer Station (Mondays and Wednesdays from 4pm - 8pm and Saturdays from 8:30am to 4pm.)
Please have materials out for collection by 7:00 am on the collection day. Your recycling needs to be in clear or blue bags, or the green recycling bin you had been previously supplied. This should be placed in the same area where you place your waste for collection. Please place the recycling in plain sight for easy collection.
Only the items listed are available for recycling in your recycling bin:
Paper and Cardboard
- Magazines, catalogs, greeting cards, brochures, paper bags, paper gift wrap
- Letters, envelope
- Non shredded and shredded computer paper
- Paper egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes must be flattened and no larger than 3'x3'
- Pizza boxes - if not greasy
- Plastic containers and packaging with a Mobius Loop (the recycling symbol) and number 1 - 7 including: plastic bottles such as ketchup, cleaning products, shampoo bottles, etc. We also accept plastic food containers, margarine and ice cream tubs, etc.
- Any clear plastic bag that is clean and dry such as cry cleaning bags, and bread bags.
- No plastic grocery bags
- tin cans, washed out please
- Aluminum tray and containers
- Pop/juice bottles and cans
- Milk containers
- Juice boxes and containers
- Glasses bottle which have deposit refund
10% of all refundable beverage containers will be donated back to the community from which they were received.
- We will accept a limited number of Automotive batteries only. Truck capacity is 4 batteries per week
- All items must be clean and dry
- Place large flattened pieces of cardboard underneath your blue bags. Please separate beverages containers. Place your old automotive batteries beside your blue bags.
Please set aside your garbage and make sure your bags are visible to the driver from his truck. This allows us to complete pickup in a timely manner without confusion.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT STYROFOAM OR GLASS
We are working on details of how the compost program will work. The current facility will not be accepting any meat products. Composting in the winter will alternate with recycling, but in the summer will likely be every week to accommodate grass clippings, leaves and other yard waste. Watch for more details as this program moves forward.